Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mountain West Conference Weekend

TCU Dance Girls

I’m pretty drunk right now and these girls are not doing it for me at all, I mean come on it’s Fort Worth, that’s pretty much Dallas

I know that MWC Weekend is a terrible name for a post, but I’ll have to think of something better later.  Frankly I’m not even sure how much longer we will be doing this as soon as Utah moves to the PAC-12 next season we will probably focus on that.  But for now get ready for a rant and this is not going to be the usual mid major rant either, because I don’t think that’s what the problem is.

In the AP pole this week as many of you may know Utah lost a place and dropped form 10 to 11, they stayed at 10 in the other two poles, so it’s mostly just the idiot AP writers.  But still, this is ridiculous, and I don’t think it’s just because they are a MWC team.  I know that’s what everyone on ESPN says, they give them some bullshit lip service along with TCU and Boise and then dismiss them anyway.  It’s always the same, they shouldn’t be punished but they should be passed up.

I’m sorry is not playing grounds for moving up 3 spots but crushing a Big 12 team by 40 points gets you knocked down a notch.  I guess that’s not nearly as impressive as beating a third rate Big 10 team by 3 scores which gets you the number 1 spot.  And here is where I think it’s not just because Utah is in the MWC, because it’s so obvious that Oregon should be #1 and not Ohio St., oh I’m sorry The Ohio State.

Everyone knows that Utah is going to the PAC-12 next year, but look how current PAC-10 schools get treated.  For one thing they play a much better schedule, the PAC-10 is probably the best conference 1-10 in the country this year.  Way better than the Big 10.  and even probably better than the vaunted SEC.  So Ohio St. beats Illinois and gets to be #1 and LSU, who should have lost 3 games beats a middle of the road Florida team and goes ahead of Utah?  It’s the entire west coast, Oregon is getting screwed just as much as Utah.  If you’re not USC, no one cares about the PAC-10, it’s just lip service that they are even a BCS conference.

I’m not even sure how to define the bias in voting, it’s not really an east coast bias, because the Big East and ACC are crap and while they always start high up in the polls even that fiction cannot be maintained for an entire season.  It’s the Big 10 that is grossly over rated, the Big 12 has its upper teams that are probably deserving and pull up the lower schools and of course the SEC always gets the benefit of the doubt, but I think they’ve earned that over the past 30 years.

I wish I could come in here with a solution, but there isn’t one.  Schools are rated on their history, plain and simple.  College football is conservative in the truest sense of the word and I don’t know if the young Turks will ever break through, if new money will ever be old money.  A playoff would improve things, but as long as there are polls nothing will fix it, there will always be teams getting over and under rated and that’s probably why I like the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment